This Thursday, October 14, 2010, the free, public phenomenon known as Artwalk brings together art lovers and community friends to the ever evolving downtown Los Angeles. With exciting and unique offerings around every corner, downtown celebrates the arts each month on the 2nd Thursday. Hours vary by gallery, but can typically range from Noon – 9PM.
Many Artwalk activities take shape in and around the galleries predominantly on Spring and Main streets between 2nd and 9th streets. However, there is a plethora of art related events and openings, activities, and special programming that take place all over downtown. For example: Central City: 7th + Fig Art Space, Arts District: 410 Boyd in The Arts District , South Park: Ghetto Gloss @ Terrell Moore Gallery all offer curious art fans plenty to see and do on their night out.
For the true art buyers and fans, arriving early offers a more relaxing stroll through the different galleries and art exhibits. As the evening progresses, more visitors descend on the area to meet up with friends and savor the local experience. Visitors and local downtowners can often be found patronizing the outcropping of local shopping, dining and entertainment establishments that have created the thriving, vibrant community around the environs of Artwalk’s footprint.
Public transportation or carpooling is encouraged. The Pershing Square station on the Metro Red Line offers both hassle free transportation and affordable parking. Pershing square is only 2 short blocks away from the center of Artwalk. Other parking is abundant and convenient. Please read posted signs before parking on the street.
Visitors, neighbors, and fans are encouraged to do their part as good citizens. Look after the community and encourage other visitors to keep the environment clean and safe for all to enjoy. After all, this is downtown Los Angeles’ premier, free, public gathering month after month!
Some things to remember:
• Trash and recyclables should be placed in appropriate receptacles to help reduce community impact and expense.
• Do not crowd the sidewalks. Be courteous by walking single file and allowing others to pass freely. Avoid riding bicycles and skateboards where people walk. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21955.htm
• Do not jaywalk, it is dangerous and unlawful.
• Be considerate of the residents and reduce the noise level to zero after 10 PM http://www.amlegal.com/los_angeles_ca/
• There is no public drinking on the streets or in galleries, but visitors are welcome to patronize established local bars and restaurants.
• Be aware of your surroundings and be considerate of the local population. Participate at your own risk and remember, you alone are responsible for your behavior.
• Encourage your friends and fellow “Artwalkers” to keep the neighborhood one of the nice draws of Downtown Los Angeles!
Don’t worry if you miss this Thursday! Artwalk happens each and every month on the 2nd Thursday. Future 2010 Artwalk dates are: November 11, and December 9 when the festive spirit prevails for the holiday season.
*Please note: Currently the Artwalk does not coordinate site specific events, exhibits, or other happenings for creative people. Please visit the Artwalk and meet the local galleries and venue operators to negotiate your own creative concepts.